The Hantam Municipality covers 36 128km² and includes Calvinia, the centre, as well as Brandvlei, Loeriesfontein, Middelpos , Nieuwoudtville and Swartkop. Calvinia is approximately 400 km from Cape Town, Springbok, Upington and Beaufort West. A 1 250 meter tarred runway, very close to Calvinia, is used by many visitors to this beautiful part of the Northern Cape.
The Municipality provides work for more than 140 permanent employees. Seventy percent of the population of approximately 20 000 people live and work in the towns.
Hantam Municipality Cities/Towns:
Main Economic Sectors:
The focus areas:
- Spatial planning (Advance Planning)
- Land use management (Development Control)
- Building control
- Performing building inspections
- Investigating complaints and, if necessary, instituting prosecution
- Receipt and scrutiny of building plans
- Calculation of building plan fees
- Enforcement of National Building Regulations and Building Standards Act (Act 103 of 1977)
- Enforcement of Occupational Safety and Health Act (Act 85 of 1993)
- Studying new building methods
- Updating building plans register
- Collection, preparation and processing of building plan statistics for Council and Central Statistics Service.
- Marketing and liaison
- Integrated spatial information system (Geographic Information System)
We strive to manage and maintain quality roads to facilitate your travelling.
Hantam Municipality is responsible for the distribution and reticulation of electrical energy to all its consumers in a cost effective and safe manner. The municipality has a mandate to distribute electricity subject to license conditions set by NERSA.
Ensuring our residents have access to clean water is our priority.
Hantam Municipality provides sewerage collection systems, comprising water borne sewer networks and vacuum Tanker service in all of the towns, and treats the collected effluent at 5 sewage treatment plants.
We strive to provide an effective Waste Management service within the municipal area.
We do our best to provide you with a comfortable environment within which to live, work and play.
- Drivers and Learners Licence
- Traffic Services
AfrikaBurn is the spectacular result of the creative expression of a community of volunteers who, once a year, gather in the Tankwa Karoo to create a temporary city of art, theme camps, costume, music and performance! For those that have been no explanation is necessary, for those that haven’t none is possible.